Friday, March 31, 2017

The Camera Gods Have Spoken

Today (Friday, March 31) was our last full day in Fredericksburg. I wanted to check out the quilt shops in town -- my friend Susie gave me a neat guide to quilt shops across the states so I knew there were four listed in town. Smoky stayed home processing his photos and I headed to the first on the list.
Fredericksburg Pie Company -- yummy
pies and so much more!
Fat quarters at the Pie
Company.

It was named the Fredericksburg Pie Company. I wondered about "Pie" in the name, but that passed quickly as I stepped inside the neatly decorated shop just one block off Main Street and found display cases full of pies. There were more than 20 kinds on the menu for today. I picked out one piece for me (chocolate pecan) and one for Smoky (peach blueberry) and headed to the quilt room. There I found a case full of fat quarters and a lot of vintage quilts and other linens. This was a great little shop, but I was still hungry for more.
One Quilt Place was amazing -- quilter's heaven!

The next shop was closed. It was really a design studio/classroom/B&B, so I headed on to number 3 on the list. The name, One Quilt Place, showed more promise, but I admit to being a little worried as I drove into a residential area of town. But then I saw the sign and the large parking lot in front of a huge building. Eagerly I parked the truck and went inside. Wow! This place was amazing.

Designed as a large open space with several alcoves plus another room at the end, there was room in One Quilt Place for everything imaginable -- sale fabrics, baby prints, patriotic, western, batiks, reproduction, and lots more, such as notions, patterns and cutting tables, and long-arm quilting machines. Lots of sample quilts were hung for inspiration. The room at the end was full of wool and flannel. I had a smile ear to ear. I left with some fat quarters and a few cuts of fabric for my stash back home. Check out their website.
One alcove of fabric at One Quilt Place.

This gorgeous quilt was hung
for inspiration.
After lunch we headed southwest to Kerrville, planning to drive a little north from there and back to Fredericksburg, taking back roads whenever possible. On the way to Kerrville on Highway 16 we spotted a field full of bluebonnets. The setting was exactly what we had been hoping for all this week. Plus there was room on the roadside to pull off and stop! Smoky helped me with some camera settings so I could capture the field just the way I saw it.


This field of bluebonnets was beautiful!
Working windmill near Fredericksburg.
After that excitement, we spotted a working windmill, which was on Smoky's must-find list, and some Texas long-horn cattle, another item on his list.
Texas longhorn, seen same day as
windmill.

We stopped for dinner at Mamacita's Mexican Restaurant in Fredericksburg. Mamacita's salad (taco salad with fajita chicken, mushrooms and cheeses) was my choice, and Smoky's chicken fajitas were great as well.
Inside Mamacita's Mexican Restaurant. Yummy food.

Back home I realized the Camera God had spoken to me. My camera was missing. We searched the truck top to bottom. No camera. Sigh. Fortunately I had downloaded everything last night so I only lost today's photos.

Smoky has many more great photos from today. Hopefully, I'll get some added later.

--Shann




No comments:

Post a Comment